Downton bolsters Tiger fleet with 100 tri-axle curtainsiders
- 100 new Tiger tri-axle curtainsiders to support big contract win
- New weight saving structural design delivers 7,250kg unladen weight
- Galvanised chassis to provide ‘decades-long’ durability
- “We are happy to continue our long-standing relationship with Tiger Trailers as one of the main suppliers of trailers to CM Downton,” Zac Brown, CM Downton
Leading UK logistics fleet operator, CM Downton, is midway through a programmed delivery of 100 new tri-axle curtainsider trailers from Tiger Trailers. The deliveries bring Downton’s Tiger fleet to 425 having been the Cheshire-based manufacturer’s first customer in 2014 and now receiving the very first trailers to leave Tiger’s new purpose-built production factory in Winsford.
The latest trailer delivers are to meet operational demands following major new business wins in recent months.
The EN12642-XL rated tri-axle chassis incorporates a bespoke structural design to meet Downton’s precise unladen weight requirement of 7,250kg, achieved by a revised ‘neck’ design and circular cut-outs located at low stress areas in the chassis beams. The hot-dipped galvanised chassis – increasingly specified by Tiger customers – provides significantly increased durability, adding decades to the service life over a conventional painted chassis. To boost fuel economy and reduce emissions, Downton’s new Tiger curtainsiders feature a front-mounted aerodynamic dome.
Tiger Trailers has also partnered Tata Steel to produce a new lightweight trailer design using steel components twice the strength of the high strength steel typically used in trailer chassis construction, without adding weight. The result is one of the lightest 4.35m tri-axle clearspan curtainsiders currently available in the UK.
“We are happy to continue our long-standing relationship with Tiger Trailers as one of the main suppliers of trailers to CM Downton,” said Zac Brown, Operations Director at Downton, “They have a respected product which we’ve chosen to expand our trailer fleet to meet the demand from new business wins over the last few months. The partnership works well, with Tiger delivering bespoke solutions to ensure we have a fleet perfectly-tailored to our national operational requirements.”
TTC13S Tri-Axle Curtainsided Straight Frame
- EN12642XL Rated Bodywork
- Overfloor chassis design to suit paper carrying operation
- Galvanised floor bearers and end frames for added corrosion protection
- Lightweight galvanised chassis
- Clearspan, unsupported Tiger roof design
- EV Cargo Livery